Swaraj Bose, MD
Although Swaraj Bose, M.D., has received many awards and recognitions for excellence as a student, teacher and physician, his motivation comes from the satisfaction of helping patients and seeing their smiles after treatment or surgery improves their vision and well-being.
He is a specialist in surgery and treatment of eye diseases, particularly those related to brain and nerve disorders. In addition to providing patient care, he conducts research, frequently gives lectures and presentations on eye disorders and therapies, and teaches and mentors students.
After receiving his undergraduate degree and early medical training at universities in India, Dr. Bose completed internship and residency programs at New York University, and he since has fulfilled three specialized fellowships in Philadelphia, New York and Los Angeles.
In addition to being the author of many scientific articles, he is a reviewer on the editorial boards of several professional journals and a speaker and moderator at national and international scientific and medical meetings.
• Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO)
• American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO)
• North American Neuro-Ophthalmological Society (NANOS)
• President, Southern California Neuro-Ophthalmological Society (SCANOS)
• All India Ophthalmological Society
• Indo-Japanese Ophthalmological Foundation
• Scientific reviewer, Ophthalmology, Journal of the American Academy of Ophthalmology
• Scientific reviewer, American Journal of Ophthalmology
• Scientific reviewer, Graefe's Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology
• Scientific reviewer, Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science (IVOS)
• Scientific reviewer, Journal of Neuro-Ophthalmology
• Scientific reviewer, Journal of Neurology
American Board of Ophthalmology with subspecialty training in neuro-ophthalmology and orbital surgery
• Has worked at the leprosy mission in India founded by Mother Teresa
• Recipient of numerous awards for excellence, both during medical training and in professional experience
• Elected Scientific Chairman, Abstract Committee, North American Neuro-Ophthalmological Society (NANOS), 2008-2009
• Selected Scientific Chair, Neuro-Ophthalmology, Asia-Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO) 2009 International Meeting, Hyderabad, India
• Bachelor’s Degree: Hans Raj College, Delhi University, India,1975
• Medical Degree: All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India, 1980
• Internship: Medicine, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India, 1980-1981
• Internship: Internal Medicine, Veterans Administration Hospital and New York University Medical Center, New York, NY, 1994-1995
• Residency: Ophthalmology, Dr. Rajendra Prasad Center for Ophthalmic Services, All India Institute of Medical Services, New Delhi, India, 1981-1984
• Residency: Ophthalmology, New York University, New York, NY, 1995-1998
• Fellowship: Glaucoma research and visual psychophysics, Scheie Eye Institute, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, 1991-1993
• Fellowship: Neuro-ophthalmology/neurovascular neuro-ophthalmology, New York University Medical Center and New York Eye & Ear Infirmary, NY, 1993-1994
• Fellowship: Neuro-ophthalmology/neuroplastics/orbital surgery, Doheny Eye Institute, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, 1998-2000